Thursday, February 20, 2014

Tropical Oatmeal

Tropical Oatmeal

Gluten Free, Vegan, Low-sugar, Dairy Free

Breakfast is definitely a must for me in the morning.  If I don't have something substantial I can feel it for the rest of the day. Not to mention others around me suffer from my cranky mood swings. 
I found this very easy, quick and filling to keep me going throughout the morning. The only sugar that is in the recipe comes from the fruit, but the flavor is really delicious!  I know there is a lot of "prepared" oatmeal out there, but most are filled with things I can't pronounce and have no idea what they are.  This is especially silly to me knowing it takes just as much time to make pretty much any flavor oatmeal just as quickly at home and its cheaper to do yourself!!  I am definitely not perfect, but one rule I try to keep in mind is the less ingredients the better (added bonus to this rule is it often makes meals less expensive!).  I try to buy whole foods, or minimally processed packaged food with minimal ingredients and ones that I recognize!  Anyway on to the oatmeal!


  • 1/2 cup Old Fashion Rolled oats
  • 1 cup Unsweeted Coconut Almond milk
  • 2-3 tablespoons Ground Flaxseed
  • 3  organic Strawberries (frozen or fresh) diced
  • 4-5 dried apricots diced 
Add all ingredients to a microwave safe bowl and cook for 1:30-2:00 mins.  Enjoy!!!!


This recipe is for one but can be easily made for multiple people.  I would suggest following the stove top directions for the oatmeal if making for a large bunch. 


Why it's good for you:
  • Oatmeal- has soluble and insoluble fiber.  Soluble fiber is good for helping to reduce cholesterol and insoluble helps food pass through our gut faster (relieves constipation). Oatmeal is a good source of protein and nutrients including zinc, vitamin E, copper, iron, selenium, and magnesium.  
  • Unsweetened Coconut-Almond Milk:  Great Dairy Alternative.  Consistency is not as thick as Almond or Soy Milk and helps gives this recipe a "tropical" flavor.  I use the Blue Diamond Brand and there is 45% of your daily calcium value, 50% for vitamin E and 25% of vitamin D, along with Vitamin A Iron Phosphorus and Magnesium in it.
  • Flax Seed -Contain Plant based Omega-3 Fatty Acids, Contain Lignans, which contain antioxidant qualities, and Flax seed also has soluble and insoluble fiber.
  • Apricots-Contain beta carotene (helpful in heart disease prevention) and also contain large amounts of vitamin A (great for eye site).
  • Strawberries- strawberries have loads of goods stuff in them including vitamin C, antioxidants, fiber and more.  Some research shows that only 1 cup can lower blood sugar levels.


No comments:

Post a Comment