Thursday, February 27, 2014

Zucchini Cakes

Zucchini Cakes
#Vegetarian, #Dairy-Free



Eww!  Gross! What is that! These are some of the responses I get when my children eat anything green (or have it touch their plate for that matter). We are working on their manners, but it is something I don't have worry about when we have Zucchini cakes for dinner.  They love them! I thought of making this recipe the other night after receiving my annual renewal form to our local farm share, otherwise known as a CSA (community supported agriculture).  Last summer I wound up shredding a bunch of zucchini I got in my share, divided it into freezer bags, and froze it so I that could use it throughout the winter. This recipe is perfect use for it.

Although the frozen zucchini is very nice to have, I love to think that in a few short months I will be getting weekly fresh vegetables and at a great price.  Where else can you get organically grown produce for about 6 months out of the year and for around $350.  I don't know about you but I would wind up paying a lot more than $350 over a 6 month period of time if I were to buy produce from the grocery store. Not to mention the fact that the produce in the store was most likely picked weeks ago and may have traveled hundreds or even thousands of miles before getting to the store.  Personally, I love showing up to the farm and being able to see the food that I will be eating growing beautifully in the sun and knowing the people who have grown it.  It is a pleasure to know that all my money is going directly to the farmers and staying in my community. If anyone in the Cazenovia or Manlius NY area is still looking for a great CSA check out Luck Moon Farms www.luckymoonfarm.org. There are plenty of others in this area as well and I am sure in your area too. A quick Google search would probably help you locate one.

With a CSA you may get a vegetable or two that you don't know what to do with, but that is part of the fun!  It will force you to become more creative in you cooking and try some vegetables that you many not have tried otherwise.  I will be posting seasonal vegetable recipes once the growing seasons starts so be on the look out for those for some ideas as well!  I could go on and on about how great I think CSA's are, but on to the recipe....

Ingredients:

  • 3-4 cups of Shredded zucchini
  • 1 cup homemade breadcrumbs
  • 1/2 small onion diced
  • 1 Tbs Italian herbs
  • 1/2- 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
  • 2 local pasture raised eggs 
  • 2 Tbs Olive oil
Directions:
  1. Squeeze water out of shredded zucchini
  2. Combine zucchini with breadcrumbs, onions, Italian herbs, salt, and old bay seasoning 
  3. Lightly beat eggs and add to dry ingredients
  4. Mix until combined
  5. Heat olive oil in pan
  6. Form mixture into patties...I usually do about 2 inches in diameter, but you can do them any size you want.  Since the patties will be loose I like to drop them right into the hot oil. 
  7. Cook zucchini cakes on medium heat for about 4-5 mins per side or until crispy
You can substitute carrots for the zucchini or do a combination of both if you like.   I have used these as both a side dish and main entree.  Apple sauce goes great with them as well.  

Why it is good for you:
  • Zucchini: Low in calories and high in fiber.  Contains vitamins C, A and folate which have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.  It also contains the minerals magnesium and potassium, which are helpful in lowering blood pressure, and the trace mineral manganese which aids in many physiological functions such as metabolism.  
  • Eggs:  Great source of protein.  I plan on posting a whole blog on all the benefits of using local pasture raised eggs soon.    






No comments:

Post a Comment