Sunday, March 16, 2014

Mediterranean Polenta

Mediterranean Polenta
#GlutenFree, #Vegetarian

We are a family that typically eats a lot of pasta.  At least once a week.  Recently, however, I have tried to find alternatives in an attempt to cut back on our wheat intake. Until this time I had never really been a polenta eater. I had tried it in restaurants, but never thought to make it at home. I am definitely glad I finally did!  Now, we always have some in our house.  I haven't yet tried making it myself, but instead have been buying the tubes, which make using it very easy. There are plenty of different flavors available as well ( i.e., plain, sundried tomato, basil and garlic, etc...). Just as a tip, when looking for it in the grocery store it is usually in the produce section....I had trouble finding it the first time I looked for it.   
The Mediterranean sauce that I make for this dish is nice because it is so versatile.  You can add or substitute ingredients very easily.  Most times I make it, I make it as a vegetarian dish, but it is also a great one to add chicken to. So that whole chicken you cooked...this is great recipe to use some of that in.  On the night I took this particular picture I didn't have artichokes, which I typically always use, so instead I substituted sauteed mushrooms and it was still really good.  Next time I might even try and use both!  Leave a comment and let me know if you add or substitute anything else.... zucchini, eggplant, pine nuts????   

Ingredients:
  •       4 Tbl olive oil divided
  •       ½ - 1 tube sundried tomato polenta cut into ½ inch rounds
  •           1 clove garlic minced
  •           1 large onion diced
  •           1 jar artichoke hearts chopped
  •           2 fresh tomatoes diced
  •           4 Tbs sundried tomatoes packed in olive oil, diced
  •           ½ tsp salt
  •            Italian herbs to taste
  •           1 can organic cannellini or garbanzo beans 
  •           ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
     
-           Directions:
  1.      Heat 2 Tbl spoons olive oil in a grill pan
  2.      Add polenta rounds and cook on medium heat for approximately 5-7 mins per side or until crisp
  3.      Meanwhile, heat additional 2 Tbs olive oil in sauté pan
  4.      Add garlic and onions and cook till fragrant
  5.      Add artichokes, fresh tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, Italian herbs and salt.  Cook for approx 5 mins
  6.      Add beans, and Parmesan cheese.  Cook for an additional 2-3 mins
  7.      Serve sauce over polenta rounds and sprinkle with additional Parmesan.  
Why it is good for you:
  • Polenta- Is made from cornmeal and when fried becomes nice and crisp on the outside and soft on the inside.  Has a mild flavor that goes well with sauces with a stronger flavor.  Like I mentioned before, it is gluten free and a great alternative to pasta.  
  • Veggies- Lots of vegetables = lots of vitamins and minerals.  Different colors, different nutrients.  All of them good for you!
  • Beans- wonderful source of protein!  Eat it with corn (polenta) and you get a complete protein!  

No comments:

Post a Comment