Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Quinoa Tabbouleh

Quinoa Tabbouleh
#Gluten Free, #Vegetarian, #Dairy Free #detox diet 



My favorite time of year to make this recipe is in the summer when I can use fresh mint and parsley that are grown in pots in my backyard. However, I also like to make it large batches anytime throughout the year as a quick and easy lunch to grab during a busy work week.  It is filling, but not so heavy that I feel weighed down after I eat it.  It is good enough to have on it's own or can be used as a side dish.
For a while I had stayed away from quinoa because I was having a hard time figuring out how to rinse it before cooking.  I couldn't find a strainer with small enough mesh so that the quinoa wouldn't fall through.  A few times, I just said screw it and didn't rinse it, but you can taste the difference.  It is much more bitter.   Recently I have been using a thin cloth (cloth diapers actually work great!), and lying it inside a colander.  I then put the quinoa on the cloth and rinse.  This way the water still drains through but I don't loose any of the quinoa.  Some of it does stick to the cloth when I go to move it into the pot, but I can usually scrape most of it off.  I don't know if this is the best way to rinse it, but so far it is the best I have come up with.  If any of you have any ideas I would love to hear them.  Leave a comment below so we can all learn!

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups quinoa
  • 1 cup diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup diced cucumbers
  • chopped parsley (use as much or as little as you like.  Sometimes I use as much as 1/4 of a cup, other times only a few tsp...depends on how you are feeling or what you have on hand)
  • chopped mint (again use as little or as much as you like)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbs olive oil
  • Juice from 1/4-1/2 of a lemon
  • 2 Tbs Feta or goat cheese crumbled (optional)
Directions:
  1. Rinse and cook quinoa according to package directions
  2. After quinoa is cooked let it sit in refrigerator until cool
  3. Mix in remainder of ingredients
  4. Enjoy!
Why it is good for you:
  • Quinoa: This seems to be the new "it" grain, but it really is a great alternative.  It is gluten free and contains a hefty amount of protein.  It also is a good source of zinc (helps you fight off illness), folate, and phosphorus as well as contains omega-3 fatty acids.   
  • Tomatoes: Contain a large amount of vitamin C and A.  They also contain small amount of iron and calcium.  Tomatoes contain lycopene, which has been found to be a powerful antioxident.  
  • Cucmbers: Contain many B vitamins and are 95% water so they are extremely hydrating.  
  • Parsley:  Contains: folate, vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin K, calcium, iron and carotene-beta
  • Lemon:  Good source of calcium, vitamin C, magnesium and potassium -- minerals and antioxidants that improve the appearance and condition of our hair, skin and nails.


No comments:

Post a Comment